Latest updates: minister defends the UK regulator’s ‘absolutely meticulous’ approach to the Covid vaccine amid criticism of its swift approval
- Alok Sharma defends UK’s rapid approval of Covid vaccine
- Fauci apologises for implied criticism of speedy UK vaccine approval
- Mother separated from breast-fed baby for days in hospital
- Coronavirus global updates – live
- See all our coronavirus coverage
The owner of Primark has revealed that the latest wave of Covid-19 lockdowns cost the fashion chain £430m in lost sales but that it has experienced a “phenomenal” jump in sales this week since stores were allowed to reopen.
Associated British Foods’ finance director, John Bason, said that trading across reopened Primark stores in England, Ireland, France and Belgium had been better than predicted.
A new episode of Anywhere but Westminster is here. This time John Harris and John Domokos revisit parts of the Midlands and north-west England they’ve been chronicling for years, and talk to people about the aspects of the Covid era that can’t be captured in charts and graphs – from mental health to the silencing of musicians, to life without work.